The original seat of the League of Nations, the Palais des Nations was transferred to the United Nations Organization in 1946, when the former organization was dissolved after proving ineffective in preventing the Second World War. Built between 1929 and 1938, the Palais des Nations today welcomes some 12,000 conferences and meetings annually. The building, which has dotted the Geneva landscape for years, features distinct architectural styles and magnificent Art Déco accents.
Visit the impressive Chamber Council, whose frescoes were painted by Spanish artist José-Maria Sert, as well as the Human Rights and Alliance of Civilization, whose circular ceiling was spectacularly decorated to look like an ocean floor by another Spanish artist, Miguel Barceló.
Walk through the imposing Salle des pas perdus, with its superb view on the Ariana Park and vista on the Mont-Blanc in nearby France.